Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Now I lay me down to sleep...no wait, now...no...now...

I was just reminded of the difference between how a mom goes to bed and how a dad goes to bed.  I'm sure you've all seen the joke make the rounds but in real life it really is like that!  Dh decides to go to bed, he gets up, brushes his teeth, takes off his clothes, sets his alarm and goes to bed.  I have to...tuck in J., this can be a long process depending on how many worries she is struggling with, whether or not she knows what she wants to wear, whether or not we can FIND said thing she wants to wear, feed her fish (I know she should do that but she has killed fish from overfeeding so it's easier to do it myself), maybe do a little "Ree-kay" on her (to help with the worrying), kiss her a bunch, hug her a bunch, help her find her sleep mask and her friends she sleeps with and finally shut out her light.  Then I have to go check on Max (who is long asleep), cover him up, check out the temperature in his room and turn on or off the fan, rearrange his pillows, and shut off his light.  THEN I have to pee, pick out what I'll wear tomorrow (hunt down items sometimes) right down to shoes and underwear (it's bad when I leave all this till morning), put on my pj's, take off my earrings, take off my makeup, put on moisturizer (it's hell to get old), brush my teeth, take my pills, inevitably go downstairs to put something on my "launch pad" (it's a www.flylady.net term for items you need to take with you) or find something, come back upstairs, pee and finally get into bed where I fall asleep with the tv on (much to Larry's irritation).  It usually takes me at least 3 nights to get through one 60 minute show because I keep falling asleep.


So who's with me?  Does it take you that long to get to bed?  Do you follow flylady?  What's your best tip for getting your morning off to a good start?  Mine is laying out clothes the night before and packing lunches and backpacks the night before.

It's 10:20pm and about 1/2 my list is done so I better shut off the computer.  I have to pee and then I have about 15 minutes of Top Chef waiting to lull me to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Yes I hear you on this too! All hubby has to do is to settle down on the couch and is asleep almost instantly! Gee, wish I could do that!

    My nights are usually: give the girls a shower/bath and help with the shampoo. The knob on the shower for the water control has broken off, so all we have to control it is a metal tab (meant to insert into the plastic knob), and is very difficult to adjust to the correct temp for the girls. So I do this for them, then I have to keep checking on them to make sure they are not playing (which is most of the time), and to supervise with the shampooing of the hair. They are doing better, but I need to make sure all the soap is out before they get out of said tub so their heads will not itch. Then Emily is off to put pj's on then to take her treatment for asthma. After her treatment she brushes her teeth, get water for the nightstand, prayers said,be covered up, and kissed goodnight. In the meantime Destiny will have got her pj's on,brush her teeth, chose a show until the bed time hour, get her water ready, choose her "pet" (stuffed animal) she will snuggle with and it will be off to bed for the usual prayers, hugs and kisses.

    I will have kissed Emily again, and scooted her off to bed at least once before Destiny's time for bed.

    By this time I am usually tired and change into my pj's, and sit on couch (unless I go back to the computer). I have a few shows I like to watch and I do try to watch them before nodding off to sleep (yes I have been known to fall asleep sitting upright). Usually by the time I am ready for bed between 10pm and 11pm, Emily has either coughed, cried or has to be consoled in some way at least once. If she has an asthma attack I give her another treatment and she will hopefully go back to sleep. So now I am ready for bed, I say my prayers, lay down and try to slow down my thoughts for sleep. Some days I usually can fall asleep within the half hour, others it takes me longer, depending on if Emily has an asthma attack or not. Some nights I sleep all night through without waking up at all, others I seem to wake up every hour.
    Perhaps when Emily outgrows the asthma (I am hoping it is soon), I will be able to have a constant 5 hours of sleep! Of course I would be open to more hours of sleep, but I will take what ever I am given!

    ReplyDelete