Sunday, January 1, 2012

A brand new year

So it's 2012 already and time for some New Years Resolutions.  I find it interesting that my last post (a long time ago) was about the exact same thing I'm about to post.  The Great Pantry Challenge of 2012.  I gave it a snazzier name so that I would be more successful with it than I was with the Pantry Challenge I did last year.  So January 1st a time of new beginnings.  I have decided that for this year's resolutions rather than having a bunch for January that I don't achieve because there are too many, I will focus on one a month for 12 months and hopefully be more successful.  The theme for 2012 should be focus I think.  But before I get to my first resolution I need to talk about what else will happen in January.

1. The Great Pantry Challenge of 2012 - I am again going to try to use up what I have in my cupboards and my two freezers in an effort to be able to see what I have, use up things that will expire an save money.  The downside of trying to extreme coupon is that you need a place to put your great buys and my cupboards were already groaning so now they are downright dangerous!  My plan for January is to take $200 cash and put it in an envelope and use that for all the groceries we will buy in January.  We will only buy the staples of our people.  You know, important things like bread, milk, bananas and diet coke.  I will only extreme coupon for things that are free, nearly free or a staple that I need that is at a stock up price.  This doesn't count the things I need to buy for my meal swap meal.  My first activity for this will be to use my new app on my new iPad to make a monthly menu.

2  The second thing happening is that it is "No Buy January".  December is always a month when (pardon my language) "money pours out my ass" so January is a time to stop spending.  This means no buying things that weren't already planned to buy.  No new books, no new music, no kitchen gadgets, no clothes etc.  I'm curious to see the bottom line at the end of January.

So now on to my first resolution, it's pretty easy since I'll be busy with the no buying and using up my pantry in creative ways.


January - Take off my makeup before bed and moisturize.  I am 42 years old and this seems like something a 42 year old mom should be doing.  My face says thank you.

Part two of the January resolution is getting more sleep.  I am a terrible night owl and NOT a morning person at all but I know that more sleep will only benefit me.  So I'm going to make it my resolution to be in bed, ready for sleep by midnight or earlier at least 5 nights a week.

So here we go, hope to have some good reports to give over the next few weeks.  My job for today is to investigate my pantry and freezer and make that menu. 

What are your resolutions?

Tami

3 comments:

  1. What app do you use to plan menus? I just got a new phone and would be interested in a menu planning app? I love the idea of 1 resolution per month - way more reasonable! I purchased 7 papers today and am re-committing to coupon shopping... my free stuff is very very low. Wow $200 on groceries.... hum.... I don't think I can do that - but I am no longer purchasing soda... that way I don't have to put up with the fussing it creates in my home! Good luck!!
    margie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I read this before I went shopping!!! :). Got some good deals and bought things that A. we needed or B. were a good stock up price. I need to get control of my spending too. You should blog more, I'm interested!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margie, I am trying to find an app I really like, I'll let you know what I end up with. Erin, it's my goal to blog a lot more. I'm hoping that posting more will help me do better at keeping the resolutions.

    ReplyDelete