Friday, October 1, 2010

October mission...

So I figure half the fun/reason to have a blog is to monitor some kind of project.  There was the one that Julie and Julia was based on where she cooked and blogged her way through Julia Child's cookbook.  There was the lady who followed every piece of Oprah's advice for a year and blogged about it. And there are hundreds even thousands of other great ideas.  I was thinking this morning that since it's October 1st I should pick something edifying to work on for the month.  I already plan to focus on thankfulness in the month of November so I didn't want to start on that already.  So I got thinking about what areas of my life might need a little help and it all came back to organization and clutter.  So I decided that I'll sign up for the flylady emails again and try to follow her plan to the letter for the month of October.  At the end of these 31 days my home will either be in better shape or I will want to strangle her with her fishing line (that's where the name flylady came from, she loves fly fishing). 

For anyone who wants to follow along the site is www.flylady.net.

The first thing she asks us to do is to shine our sink.  The logic is that it gives you one clean and sparkling focal point in your kitchen and it makes it easier to keep up on other things if your sink is shiny.  That's truly all she asks you to do on day one.  So I shined my sink, it's lovely :-).  Since I have done the program a bunch of times before I pretty much know where I'm headed.  Tomorrow I have to keep my sink shiny and get dressed to my shoes (lace up she insists!).  If you want to do "zone work" then today we are in the front hall and dining room.  In zone work you spend 15 minutes decluttering that area, because, "you can do anything for 15 minutes" or so she says. 

I already do a decent job of my before bed routine (except I never cared about the shiny sink) so tonight I will do a little better than usual and lay out clothes for tomorrow, remove my makeup and moisturize and you guessed it, shine my sink.

The other thing that flylady talks about is conquering Mt. Washmore which is a much cuter name than my pile of laundry deserves.  She maintains that you need to do a load start to finish each day.  A great plan that means you don't have several clothes baskets cluttering up your bedroom with laundry that needs to be put away.  I am going to embrace her system for this month and see if I can do a better job keeping on top of my mountain.


So after one day I don't feel redeemed of my clutter issues just yet but maybe in 30 short days I'll be a new woman.  I'll blog about it periodically to keep me honest and on task.

No comments:

Post a Comment